Last night was leftover night at my house. I never know how things will turn out–but I know that I am going to eat it. I had a frozen savory pie crust that I thawed, leftover refried beans made with aduki & black beans, homemade salsa, and leftover almond pulp from making almond milk. I threw together a re-fried bean pie and then I started searching for almond pulp recipes.
All the pulp recipes I found were for raw foodists who own high-end dehydrators (it’s on my wish list) who did not bake their cookies. 🙁 Okay—it’s time to make up a recipe–and create an oven baked cookie recipe I did. Both recipes turned out better than I expected and it was a lot of fun–they both tasted great!
Re-fried Bean Pie
- Pre-made pie crust or thawed frozen crust
- 2 cups re-fried beans
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup salsa
- sharp cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish
- Scoop in beans and smooth the top
- Add diced onion
- Cover with salsa
- Grate enough sharp cheddar (I use a raw organic sharp cheddar that is delicious) to cover the top
- Fold hangover pie crust over the top
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 30 minutes **If crust starts to brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil**
Almond-Pulp Cookies–makes 2 dozen
- 2 cups almond pulp (1 batch/quart of almond milk = 1 cup of almond pulp)
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups flour (I used white-wheat organic flour)
- sea salt, a pinch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: the oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Then add the almond pulp to the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted coconut oil, vanilla, honey, and raisins (if using) and mix well.
- Place rounded spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and slightly flatten with the back of your spoon. The cookies do not spread much.
- Place in oven on middle rack for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.