Last week I decided to make cabbage rolls for the first time. I’ve had delicious cabbage rolls served to me but I never took the time to copy a recipe; so off to the internet I went. BLEH—everything and everyone was dousing this healthy, non-processed meal with tons of added sugar. Also–the recipes online called for 2 lbs. of meat for the rolls; I didn’t feel like hunting down grass-finished beef where I live (I actually get all of my meat 45 minutes away in my hometown) so I decided to use the beef bone broth I had recently made to infuse the rice in the rolls; instead of using actual meat. The cabbage rolls were wonderful–and they tasted very meaty with just a cup of the bone broth (you can use beef broth or vegetable broth too, I imagine.) The rolls are super filling and I liked them so much I made a second batch when I went home later in the week with similar delicious results. You’ll learn to love cabbage with these rolls!!
- 1 head cabbage, washed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-15 oz cans tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1-1 1/2 cups bone broth, beef stock, or vegetable stock
- 1 cup rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- chili powder
- cumin powder
- salt & pepper
- Fill a large stove-top pot 2/3 of the way with water and bring to a boil. Add the full head of cabbage and boil for 12 minutes. Remove cabbage from water and let cool 5-10 minutes; then peel off around 10 leaves.
- Chop your onion and garlic.
- In a large pot, boil 12 cups water, then add the cup of rice. Reduce heat to med-high and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain the rice and return to the pot. Cover the rice.
- In the meanwhile carmelize the onion and garlic in a medium saute pan with 2 Tbsp olive oil for 10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, 1-1 1/4 cups broth, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder and salt/pepper to taste to the rice.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Take cabbage leaves that have torn or ones remaining on the head and line a 9 x 13 pan with torn leaves.
- Take your reserved cabbage leaves and fill the center of each with a heaping spoonful of the rice mixture. Roll up and place in the pan on top of the torn leaves. This will yield 8-12 rolls.
- In a medium bowl combine the 2 cans of tomato sauce with a large splash of broth, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and salt/pepper to taste. Pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with foil and place in oven.
- Bake for a total of 2 hours; if desired you can bake for 1 hour and then re-ladle the tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls–returning to the oven for 1 more hour; or you can just bake straight through.