Before I start with the cooking info I want to say that these Chickpea Burgers are extremely versatile and easily customizable to your tastes. You can substitute tomatoes for onions or ground up oatmeal for breadcrumbs. Use your favorite spices, not mine! I make these frequently and they are a favorite in our house! I listed what I used today but the recipe usually changes each time I make these.
For today’s recipe you will need:
- extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) w/liquid
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (end removed)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used Ian’s panko bread crumbs)
- 3 egg whites
- sea salt, a couple of shakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp curry
- 1 tsp parsley (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- In a small pan on the stove top; heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and red bell peppers. Fry until tender, stirring frequently.
- In the meanwhile—combine your can of garbanzo beans WITH liquid and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in your onions, mushrooms and peppers.
- Add the salt, curry , cumin, parsley, and chipotle.
- Mix in the breadcrumbs and egg whites thoroughly. ***Your mixture will be sticky and loose***
- Let sit in the fridge, covered for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat.
- Form the bean mixture into 4 patties (it will still be slightly runny and that is okay!)
- Place the patties into the skillet for 5 minutes on each side.
When you flip the burgers you will have a crust and some darker color; and that is GOOD!!! That is the most flavorful part; don’t think you’ve burned them.
Eat them plain (they are wonderful!) or garnish them with salsa. ***I didn’t get to eat mine because apparently the dog has Go-Go-Gadget legs and swiped mine off of a plate pushed back onto the counter…. But I did get a picture of my love’s plate***