Back in December, my family took a trip to Las Vegas. While we were there the temperature was hovering around 40 degrees (back home it was below zero) and my sister & I kept looking for a place to get a warm drink; a hot buttered rum instead of a $1 margarita (which is awesome if it is 80 degrees outside!) We had never had hot buttered rum & not being able to find one made us even more obsessed with trying the drink. During this same trip, I accidentally used her shower gel (accidental the first time; on purpose the rest of the trip) which was also “hot buttered rum” scented. It smelled fantastic–like a Werther’s butter candy.
Upon returning home I got to take a look at the shower gel bottle (on the trip she had used a clear travel bottle.) Of course, something that smelled that wonderful was made by Philosophy, and as we all know the recipe is printed on the bottle. About a month later we decided to try out the recipe. I have owned many Philosophy-brand lotions and shower gels that have recipes printed on the front and I always meant to try each of them out. Now was my chance. I love this recipe. It is buttery, rich, and decadent. To be completely honest it requires no alcohol. It is perfect without the rum. But if you are so inclined to imbibe; I would add less than the prescribed 1 oz. of rum. It can overpower a delightful drink very quickly. I was impressed with the recipe. It was easy to follow, easy to execute, and delightful to drink.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- boiling water
- Combine the sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a saucepan. Cook over low until the butter melts; stirring occasionally.
- Combine the butter mixture with the ice cream in a large bowl. Add cinnamon & nutmeg; beat on medium until smooth.
- Refrigerate or freeze. **We refrigerated 1/2 of our mixture and used it up within a week**
To make a drink:
- Fill 1/4 of a mug with the buttered rum mixture
- Add 1 oz. of rum
- Add 3/4 cup of boiling water
- Top with whipped cream (optional)