Duochrome makeup shades have been around for awhile. Color shifting shades that maintain a chromatic, metallic, high-shine finish are a favorite of mine. I was ecstatic when Makeup Geek announced the new line of duochrome shadows & pigments! While house sitting for my Mom, I accidentally realized they were premiering on the MUG website one night just moments before they went on sale. I grabbed 3 duochrome shadows and 1 pigment. It took about one week for my package to arrive & shipping was only $1.99.
The packaging on all MUG products is gorgeous, everything arrived in perfect condition, and I was thrilled with the quality of everything I ordered. I picked up an eyeshadow and blush, in addition to the fabulous duochromes. They are all amazing and highly pigmented–the blush is so pigmented that I can use it (well) as an eye shadow. I am beyond pleased with shade colors, texture, and pigmentation.
My order arrived on Saturday the 26th and within hours & only opening the pigment container 2-3 times, the rim of the jar cracked in several spots. Apparently this is a problem with the pigment containers. BUT I would not let this deter you from ordering–I transferred mine to an empty jar with a sifter top (you can also purchase empty makeup containers at Sally Beauty.) The TRUTH is, this stuff is so gorgeous that I even kept the empty MUG pigment container to use every last bit of that beautiful, ethereal pigment. It is one of the prettiest, most unique items in my makeup collection & hopefully they improve on the packaging—But I will not let it deter me from enjoying this fabulous product!
The eye shadows come in individual pans. I transferred them (and the blush pan) to my magnetic sewing box with no issues. They are highly magnetic. The shadows & pigment can be applied wet or dry, and are highly pigmented. When applied wet they are intensified (it doesn’t get any better!) I only swatched them dry but believe me, they are taken to their ultimate form when applied wet.
The shadows apply well with a flat shader brush, your fingertip, and they can be used as an eyeliner with a flat brush or eyeliner brush. They are firmer in texture than the MUG foiled shadows but they are still soft & easy to blend. The pigment can be applied perfectly with a small brush. I like to keep my application more precise so the pigment is bold on the eye–but it is also gorgeous as an all over lid color. I love using the pigment as an eyeliner. **I have also used “I’m Peachless” as a highlighter & it works well** The shadows & pigment work well enough on their own but are best applied over a primer/base.
Duochrome Eye Shadows ($6:)
- I’m Peachless: “Buff Base with Peachy-Pink Reflects.” The nude base is what makes this shade so unique. It is not too orange or pink because it has that soft neutral base. It is delicate but can be built up for effect. I love this as a shadow and a highlight on the cheeks!
- Mai Tai: “Apricot Base with Orchid Reflects.” When I received the shadows, I did the –> swatches & then we took a walk. In the sunlight the colors were transforming back & forth like a holographic picture. I was most impressed with the color shift on this shade & “Blacklight.” ^^ SWATCHES are without any primer!
- Blacklight: “Electric Purple Base with Icy Blue Reflects.” For my tastes, this shadow should be named PERFECT! I love purple/lavender shadows but they rarely show on the lid like they do in the pan. This shade exceeded my expectations & quite frankly, when was the last time a purple eye shadow didn’t let you down? This shade is beautiful worn every way imaginable (I’ve played with these a lot already) but I think it is exceptionally stunning when applied over a dark base.
Duochrome Pigment ($12:)
- Hologram: “Orangey-Pink Base with Green & Gold Reflects.” This exceptional product lives up to its description, but for me, it is light on the green (so do not let that deter you!) It is very flattering for my medium, warm-toned complexion (with a tan.) I LOVE this product as an eyeliner–I like to use it with the E.L.F. Makeup Lock & Seal. It is a smooth application wet or dry and a little goes a long way.
Eye Shadow ($6:)
- Beaches & Cream: “Creamy Matte Natural Beige with Just A Hint of Peach.” I have been looking for a matte light cream color and this shadow is it! On my skin tone it can be used as an eye highlight or a crease shade. It is easy to blend and highly pigmented. I was not disappointed–too many other brands have wimpy lighter shades that leave a chalky finish. This is a solid product that makes me want to try more of the basic shades. It is super high quality!
- Summer Fling: “Soft Burnt Orange.” This blush is so nice–It is a bold color but it has a natural finish and blends out well. I love the versatility of the product. It is great when used on the eyes as well as the cheeks.
I am so impressed with my entire order. The colors are true to description, they apply to the face the way they look in the pan, they are easy to apply/blend/work with, and they are affordable. The standard is now reset, once again, thanks to Makeup Geek and I hope everyone pays attention! I apologize in advance for the flood of eye looks that will be on my Instagram.