Oven baked sweet potato packets are my favorite easy, last minute recipe. They take minutes to prepare & the majority of the process is walking away while they bake in the oven. The ingredients meld together, the veggies caramelize, and all I had to do was peel & chop some vegetables.
You can customize your packets to your liking. I like to keep mine simple. My typical packet includes one sweet potato, chopped onion, whole garlic cloves, olive oil, and some spices. The potatoes cook all the way through and become soft, the onions and garlic mellow out in the oven and take on a wonderful caramelized, smoky flavor, and the combination of all the ingredients is basic but delightful. For my video demo, I added some chopped bell pepper and that works well with the other vegetables too.
This recipe makes two sweet potato packets.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped or sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled & chopped
- 6-8 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 bell pepper (or several small peppers,) chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper, and Spices of your choosing
How to make the packets:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F)
- Clean, Peel, and Chop the Vegetables
- Cut two sheets of aluminum foil (about 12″ each)
- Place half of the vegetables in the center of each foil sheet
- Drizzle with oil
- Sprinkle with spices
- Fold in the sides of the foil to form packets
- Place packets on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 55 minutes
I love how easy these packets are to make! I always have the ingredients on hand and in our house they count as a meal but would also make a great side dish. These potatoes are savory comfort food at its best–without any preservatives, added junk or guilt!