Strawberry season is winding down. With an abundance of berries in our fridge, I tried out oven dried strawberries a few weeks ago. The berries become tart after baking, so a sprinkle of salt helps bring out their natural sweetness. The oven dried strawberries do not taste like candy but they still taste great! They are a healthy snack and a great addition to most treats (granola, yogurt, cereal.)
The berries bake for 2 1/2 hours on each side. Lining your baking sheets with parchment paper helps reduce clean-up.
Oven Dried Strawberries
You will need:
- Prepare the strawberries
- Preheat oven to 200 (F)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (you only use one at a time)
- Place halved berries face up (lumpy side down) onto one of the lined sheets
- Place in oven for 2 1/2 hours
- Remove sheet from oven & leave oven door open (so air can circulate)
- Transfer berries to the clean sheet, face down
- Sprinkle with salt (to bring out sweetness)
- Place sheet in oven for an additional 2 1/2 hours
- Remove sheet from oven, let cool, and store berries in an airtight container
Strawberries are everywhere right now! Grocery stores, road side stands, and strawberry farms are cranking out the berries. We were gifted berries by several sweet relatives who did the work of picking the berries for us. After we ate a ton of berries, I also used them to infuse the passion tea lemonade that is a constant in our fridge. Fresh strawberries have many uses & I really enjoyed the oven dried strawberries as a healthy snack!