I have a pile of sweet potatoes waiting to be made. To be honest I haven’t wanted to be in the kitchen much at all; ever since the temperature dropped to -24 and hit -50 with the wind chill. The kitchen is the coldest room in the house–so anything that can cook, simmer or bake for awhile is preferred. I used a Betty Crocker recipe and tweaked it a little to get some use out of those aging potatoes.
Slow-Cooker Sweet Potatoes with Applesauce is a sweet dish (I make a lot of savory sweet potato dishes) with hints of apple and cinnamon. We only had pistachios in the pantry to top off the potatoes; and they worked great. This is a great dish for those of you who enjoy your potatoes on the sweet side and anyone who loves the convenience of letting the crock pot do all the work for you!
- 3 sweet potatoes (2 pounds,) peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- Place sweet potatoes in 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
- Sprinkle with nuts.