I am a complete YouTube addict. I love watching people create everything from crochet work to food. David Seymour’s channel features tons of food experiments & reviews based on Buzzfeed recipes. They tend to be more decadent food but when I saw the pizza bread bowl review, I had to try it. It was a fantastic success! The vegetables were thoroughly cooked & the cheese melted in 25 minutes. The crust was the best part for me. It was perfectly crisp without being tough or hard. That perfect bread bowl crust, paired with fresh & shredded mozzarella plus provolone was amazing!
The bread bowl pizza is super easy to assemble. You slice off the very top of your loaf, pull out the bread inside (down to the crust,) and layer in your fillings. After leaving the covered loaf sit with a heavy object on top, pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes and you are done. I had a pretty small loaf so 25 minutes was good for me. There are no special tricks–this is a solid recipe (of course I tweaked it a bit.)
Bread Bowl Pizza
- 1 round sourdough loaf
- tomato sauce or pizza sauce (I used tomato sauce with garlic, smoked paprika, and oregano)
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8-10 pieces
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2-3 slices provolone
- turkey pepperoni
- vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Prepare your vegetables & cheese.
- Slice off the top of the bread & set to the side.
- Carefully remove the inside of the loaf by pulling it out with your hands or use a knife. I tried to get as close to the crust as I could.
- Begin layering your ingredients: Cover the bottom of the bread bowl with a layer of sauce, add a layer of fresh mozzarella, place a layer of pepperoni, toss on the onion & peppers, then add another layer of sauce, top it with the provolone slices, followed by most of your shredded mozzarella (leave a small bit to place on the top later when baking,) and depending how much cheese you have left–I added my remaining slices of fresh mozzarella.
- Replace the top of the loaf.
- Wrap the loaf in aluminum foil and then place a heavy object on top for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining handful of shredded mozzarella on top & top that with a few slices of pepperoni.
- Preheat the oven to 350 (F,) place on a greased baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
The bread bowl pizza was easy to slice & serve. It is pretty filling and we had leftovers that held up well in the fridge. I really enjoyed this experiment–it was as good as I hoped it would be!